This policy sets out the payment options available to customers when paying South Australia Housing Trust charges, for example rent, maintenance charges.
It also sets out when Housing SA can refer a customer to Centrelink for Income Management.
Rent Deduction Scheme
The Rent Deduction Scheme allows customers to pay rent and other charges directly from their Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs payments.
Using the Rent Deduction Scheme is a condition of the lease agreement, also known as the Conditions of Tenancy, for tenants receiving an income from either:
- Centrelink, including family assistance payments
- the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
Other payment options
Customers can also make payments by either:
- Direct Debit
- having them forwarded directly from their wages by arrangement with their employer
- through Australia Post’s Post Billpay service
- at any Service SA office
- using BPOINT or BPAY directly through a financial institution
Housing SA doesn’t accept cash payments over the counter.
Income Management is a budgeting tool used by Centrelink that sets aside a percentage of a person’s Centrelink income to pay for essential household needs and expenses, for example for food and rent.
Customers can volunteer for Income Management if they live in one of the below areas:
- Greater Adelaide region
- Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Lands
Housing SA may discuss Income Management as an option and make a referral to Centrelink for vulnerable customers who live in either Playford or Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Lands.
Vulnerable customers may include people who:
- are experiencing financial exploitation or hardship
- are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless because of rent arrears
- aren’t able to take reasonable care of themselves
- have a history of rent arrears or making inconsistent rent payments
- have a history of having their private rental bond guarantees claimed
This policy is based on and complies with:
- Child Protection and Vulnerable Measures of Income Management: South Australian Bilateral Agreement
- Social Security (Administration) Act 1999
- Customer payment options guideline v3.1
- Income Management guideline v3
Date this policy applies from
14 April 2020
The online version of the policy is the approved and current version. There’s no guarantee any printed copies are current.