Driving the Authority to 2025 are the following principles:
- Key outcomes of Our Housing Future 2020-2030, which aims to create a better housing future for all South Australians.
- Key themes of the 2018 South Australian Housing Trust Triennial Review, which highlighted the shortcomings of the system and identified the need to support a modern, multi-provider system that is transparent, integrated, sustainable and responsive to need.
- Establishment principles of the Authority, created to deliver a new whole of system focus, a new transparent, accountable and integrated structure, and a new sustainable model.
Doughnut Chart Description: Overview clockwise from top right around to the top left
Outer circle, Triennial Review Key Themes
- Lead and support the State's system wide Housing Strategy
- Future proof functions and responsibilities
- Assets will match current and future customer needs
- Address the declining housing affordability for low income South Australians
- Dynamically respond to changing needs
- Funding levels and mix will match functions and responsibility
- Transparent information will monitor performance
- Performance accountability frameworks will drive decision making
Middle circle, Establishment principles of SA Housing Authority
- New sustainable MODEL (encompassing - Lead and support the State's system wide Housing Strategy - Future proof functions and responsibilities - Assets will match current and future customer needs)
- New transparent, accountable and integrated STRUCTURE (encompassing - Address the declining housing affordability for low income South Australians - Dynamically respond to changing needs - Funding levels and mix will match functions and responsibility)
- New whole of system FOCUS (encompassing - Transparent information will monitor performance - Performance accountability frameworks will drive decision making)
Inner circle, Our Housing Future key outcomes, Pathway
- Effective and efficient industry
- Matching right supply to demand
- Targeted support
Journey so far
SA Housing Authority commenced operations on 1 July 2018, combining housing strategy, policy, service delivery and asset management functions previously undertaken by two separate government agencies Renewal SA and the Department for Human Services.
The Authority was created with a clear goal to reform the housing system by:
- increasing the supply of suitable affordable housing
- modernising and improving the social housing system
- supporting a modern multi-provider system, and
- establishing an environment that promotes shared responsibility and ownership of the housing challenges South Australia faces.
During its first year of operation, there was a necessary focus on establishment work as the Authority defined a new system focus, including the appointment of a new Board and a Chief Executive, and the development of the organisational structure, strategic priorities and business plans.
But while the foundation was being built, work has been underway to support our transformation. In this next exciting phase, delivering the Authority’s approach, the organisation will continue to provide vital housing services to customers and reset relationships with sector partners as it works to a new business model. From 2025, the Authority will look to grow its success, merging with a new image as a world-leading housing provider and employer of choice.
New structure supporting a system focused on people
Building a foundation
Developing a new strategic approach to pivot the system to focus on people. Establishing corporate capability/skills with new, integrated structure to support the State strategy.
New service and supply models with our partners
Delivering our approach
With greater transparency and sharing of data, the Authority can understand its customers and the costs of servicing them. Working with partners on a new, networked model that simplifies, coordinates and integrates (where appropriate), and better targets funds to appropriate service and supply models.
New image supported by clarity of role and improved performance
Clarity of services enables community and customer expectations to be measured, improved customer experience and performance management through stronger accountability.
2025 and beyond