A state wide Code Red extreme heat response for South Australia will continue throughout the week to help those rough sleeping stay cool and hydrated in this week’s heatwave.
The Code Red was called after the State Emergency Service issued a heatwave wave warning, with extreme heat extending until late Friday evening.
Heat-related illness can strike much more quickly during a heatwave, and the Code Red has been called to provide those sleeping rough a place to stay cool and hydrated.
The following services in metropolitan Adelaide will extend their operating hours:
- Westcare (Baptist Care SA) 11/19 Millers Ct Adelaide, will be open overnight on Tuesday 17 until Friday 20 December. Closed 7am-9am.
- Street to Home will be providing additional outreach services to people rough sleeping.
- Trace-A-Place (SYC) 135 Currie Street Adelaide, will extend their hours from 5pm to 7pm on Tuesday 17 until Friday 20 December. Opening at 9am.
- Hutt Street Centre 257 Hutt St, will extend their hours from 7am to 5pm on Tuesday 17 until Friday 20 December.
- The Homelessness Gateway Service will continue to operate 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Anyone who is rough sleeping is encouraged to contact the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308
In regional areas, people can call the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308 if they need assistance.
This service operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year.