About the Employment Pathways Program
The Employment Pathways Program was developed to assist SA Housing Authority in achieving our social housing targets set out in the State’s 10 year housing strategy, Our Housing Future 2020-2030.
As part of the Strategy, the Authority has committed to delivering up to 1,000 employment and training outcomes targeted to social housing tenants (including those on the housing register). Providing opportunities to obtain secure, meaningful employment will create greater independence for these tenants and - where appropriate - empower them to transition to private rental or homeownership.
Who is eligible to participate in the Program?
Program participants may include:
- Housing SA tenants, and Tenants of community housing providers (e.g. Junction Australia, Unity Housing, Housing Choices SA)
- People on the public or community housing registers (waiting for housing)
- Recipients of Housing SA Private Rental Assistance
- People at risk of homelessness (including young people who may be couch surfing/do not have stable housing)
What types of areas will training and employment be offered in?
Traineeships, apprenticeships, and employment opportunities will be available across various sectors including, Building and Construction. Civil Construction, Maintenance, Horticulture, Administration and Call Centre.
A traineeship is usually offered in a non-trade field, for up to 12 months. An apprenticeship is usually in a trade-based field, for between 3-4 years. Often, both traineeships and apprenticeships can be completed on a part-time or full-time basis, but this is determined by the employer.
The Authority partners with a variety of stakeholders including industry, registered training organisations, group training organisations, government departments, schools, support agencies and employment service providers to deliver foundation skills training, school based vocational training and pre-employment courses.
If you would like to discuss partnering with the Authority on a course or program please, complete the Employment Pathways Partnership Opportunities Form, and a member of the project team will contact you.
These courses aim to provide the support, skills and training to assist participants to transition into vocational training or employment in a more relaxed, safe environment. This ensures participants who disengaged from mainstream schooling at a young age, and/or have little to no work experience, are made to feel valued and supported during what can be a daunting, but exciting new phase in their lives.
Courses can include a combination of classroom learning and practical construction work through the refurbishment of a Housing SA Property.
Additional resources within the courses can include:
- Non-accredited training such as budgeting, resume/cover letter building and interview skills
- Learner support services – funded by the Department for Innovation and Skills. Learner Support Services (LSS) provide case management support to help students address life, learning and other issues, and complete their training and transition to employment.
- Hands on practical experience working on refurbishing Housing SA properties, and
- Mentoring (such as Indi Services for our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander participants)
Some examples of our pre-employment courses are:
Economic participation clauses are incorporated in SA Housing Authority contracts to create sustainable employment opportunities for our customers, leveraging public housing spending for greater social impact. This means, if the Authority pays a company to undertake work on public housing, they are required to provide training and job opportunities for our customers.
Employment opportunities can include traineeships and apprenticeships across a number of industries, primarily building and construction.
- Centina Pty Ltd Vacancy Number Cent01 (Steel Framing Traineeships) (PDF, 204.3 KB)
- Centina Pty Ltd Vacancy Number Cent02 (Receptionist / Administration Assistant Traineeship) (PDF, 199.1 KB)
- Centina Pty Ltd Vacancy Number Cent03 (Accounts Administration Officer) (PDF, 200.3 KB)
- Urban Concepts Vacancy Number Urban1 (Roof Plumbing Apprentice) (PDF, 236.2 KB)
- Urban Concepts Vacancy Number Urban2 (Trade Assistant/Building Labourer) (PDF, 232.4 KB)
- Lake Maintenance - Vacancy number Lake01 (Receptionist Traineeship) (PDF, 240.9 KB)
- Lake Maintenance - Vacancy number Lake02 (Response Coordinator) (PDF, 240.9 KB)
If you are interested in any of the above vacancies, Apply for a vacant position now. Please ensure you have read all the information in the vacancy and meet all the requirements for the position.
By completing this form and submitting your resume you are applying for a paid employment opportunity with a contractor of the SA Housing Authority.
If you are someone living with disability, please contact us to receive this information in an alternative format:
- Send us an email
- TTY number
- Phone: 133 677 ☏
- Voice Relay number
- Phone: 1300 555 727 ☏
- SMS Relay number
- 0423 677 767 ☏
- More information
- Visit website www.relayservice.com.au