Kaurna for stay and learn
Tika Tirka is a new accommodation service for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students from remote and outer regional communities studying in Adelaide.
The Tika Tirka facility is built and operates on Kaurna Land and we reflect our deep respect by dedication of the building name in Kaurna language, meaning to sit/stay and learn. We acknowledge the Kaurna people as the custodians of the Adelaide region and we pay our respects to elders past and present.
The 20-bed apartment style facility in the Adelaide CBD accommodates post-secondary students from remote and regional locations engaged in further education and training. During its first year, Tika Tirka will accommodate students, with a view to expand to other post-secondary education. If you fall into this student category, please contact us to register your interest.
The innovative space features a mix of flexible common and private living areas.
A unique project
A unique project, Tika Tirka enjoys support from schools, tertiary and vocational providers, key Aboriginal staff and leaders in State Government and the not-for-profit sector, families and current students.
It’s based on a model that provides students with the best opportunity to be successful in their education and learning, allowing young Aboriginal people to independently live and study in a metropolitan environment while fulfilling their cultural and heritage needs.
Why live at Tika Tirka?
- Be part of a culturally supportive and welcoming community that displays respect and consideration for others
- Be centrally located to university campuses, public transport and the hub of the Adelaide CBD
- Live in a safe and secure environment
- Join in a range of personal development programs as well as various community programs and events
- Enjoy affordable living with all utilities and Wi-Fi access provided
- Soak up the sun in the central courtyard or outdoor rooftop garden.
Frequently Asked Questions
Tika Tirka is:
- a 10-minute walk to Central Market
- a 30-minute tram ride to Glenelg beach
- a 30-minute walk to CBD university campuses
- a 20-minute walk to Rundle Mall
- a 25-minute walk to Adelaide Railway Station
Want to know more?
- About your eligibility, please speak with the Aboriginal Student Support unit at the university where you are enrolled
- Email: Tikatirka@sa.gov.au ✉
- Phone: (08) 8470 9491 ☏