Housing SA and community housing providers only take certain types of income into account when working out:

  • eligibility for help paying bond or rent
  • affordable rent limits for people receiving help paying bond and rent
  • eligibility for public and community housing
  • how much rent a public or community housing tenant is charged.

This table sets out the different types of income, and if they are assessable.

Contact Housing SA about income types that aren’t included in this list.

Contact Centrelink for more information about the below income types.

A list of Centrelink incomes and whether they are assessable or non-assessable.
Income typeAssessable Description and notes
Abstudy Yes Financial help to Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australians who are studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship.
Age Pension Yes Provides income support and access to a range of concessions for eligible older Australians.
Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) Scheme No

Financial help for parents and carers of children who can't go to a local government school because of geographical isolation, disability or special needs.

The AIC Scheme includes the Boarding Allowance, Second Home Allowance, Distance Education Allowance, and AIC Pensioner Education Supplement.

Austudy Yes Financial help to full-time students and Australian Apprentices aged 25 or over.
Bereavement Allowance No

New grants of Bereavement Allowance stopped on 20 March 2020.

People getting Bereavement Allowance keep getting it until the end of their bereavement period, usually 14 weeks.

Carer Payment Yes, except when calculating Housing SA rent, and it's paid to someone who provides care to a tenant who isn't the tenant's partner. A payment for people who give constant care to someone who has a severe disability, illness, or an adult who is frail and aged.
Carers Allowance No

An income supplement for people who give additional daily care to someone who has a disability, serious illness, or who is frail aged.

Carer Adjustment Payment No A one-off payment when a child under 7 gets a severe illness or has a major disability.
Carer Supplement No An annual lump-sum payment for people who give care to a person with a disability or serious illness, and get certain payments.
Coronavirus SupplementNoA temporary fortnightly payment for job seekers and students affected by coronavirus who get certain income support payments.
Crisis Payment No

A one-off payment to help people who are in severe financial hardship because of extreme circumstances, for example victim of domestic violence, released from prison or a refuge.

Disability Support Pension Yes Financial support for people with a permanent physical, intellectual or psychiatric condition that stops them from working.
Double Orphans Pension No A regular payment for people who give care to a child whose parents can’t care for them or have died.
Economic Support PaymentNoOne-off payments for people affected by coronavirus who get certain income support payments.
Education Entry Payment No A once-a-year payment made to people when they start study if they get certain income support payments.
Energy Supplement No An ongoing payment to help people pay for energy bills, for example electric or gas, if they get certain payments.
Essential Medical Equipment Payment No A yearly payment to help with energy costs to run medical equipment or medically required heating or cooling.
Family  Tax Benefit Part A, paid on a fortnightly basis Yes, except for people living in housing managed by Housing SA in an Aboriginal community. Helps with the cost of raising children.
Family  Tax Benefit Part B, paid on a fortnightly basis Yes, except for people living in housing managed by Housing SA in an Aboriginal community. Extra financial assistance to help with the costs of raising children. Provided to single parents, couples with 1 main income and non-parent carers, for example grandparents, great grandparents.
Family Lump Sum Payment No Family Tax Benefit Part A, Family Tax Benefit Part B paid as an annual lump sum.
Farm Household Allowance Yes Help for farming families in financial hardship.
JobSeeker Payment Yes Income support payment for people looking for work aged at least 22 years and under Age Pension age.
Language, Literacy & Numeracy Supplement No Newly arrived Australians may be eligible for the Language, Literacy & Numeracy Supplement if they are in the Skills for Education and Employment Program and received designated allowances.
Mobility Allowance No A payment to help with travel costs for work, study or looking for work for people with a disability, illness or injury that means they can’t use public transport.
Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement No A lump sum increase to Family Tax Benefit Part A for people who start caring for a baby or child that’s recently come into their care.
Parental Leave Pay Yes

Financial help for working parents for up to 18 weeks to care for a newborn or newly adopted child.

Parenting Payment Yes Income support for the principal carer of a young child.
Pensioner Education Supplement No A regular extra payment to help with study costs for people who get certain income support.
Pension Supplement No A regular extra payment to help with utility, phone, internet and medicine costs if you get certain income support.
Pensions Loans Scheme No A scheme that lets older Australians get a voluntary non-taxable fortnightly loan.
Remote Area Allowance No A regular extra payment for people who live in a remote area and get certain income support.
Rent Assistance Yes, except for people registering for public or community housing. Financial help towards rent for people who pay rent and receive certain Centrelink payments.
Sickness Allowance Yes

New grants of Sickness Allowance stopped on 20 March 2020.

People getting Sickness Allowance before that date keep getting it until their medical certificate expires.

Special Benefit Yes Help for people in severe financial hardship who can’t get other income support from Centrelink.
Status Resolution Support Service Payment (SRSS) Yes

A regular payment for people waiting to hear about their immigration status to help with basic living costs.

Widow Allowance Yes

New grants of Widow Allowance stopped on 1 July 2018.

People getting Widow Allowance before that date keep getting it for as long as they’re eligible.

Youth Allowance Yes Financial help for people aged 24 or younger and are a student or Australian Apprentice, or aged 21 or younger and looking for work.
Youth Disability Supplement Yes An extra payment for a young person with a disability who receives certain income support payments.
Youth Jobs PaTH Internship No Incentive payment received in addition to regular income support payment.

↑  Back to Top

Contact the Department of Veterans’ Affairs for more information about the below income types.

A list of incomes from the Department of Veterans' Affairs and whether they are assessable or non-assessable.
Income typeAssessable Description and notes
Defence Force Income Support Allowance Yes May be paid to veterans or their partners when their social security income support payment is reduced or not payable because of a payment of adjusted disability pension from the Department of Veterans' Affairs.
Department of Veterans' Affairs allowances No

Depending on the accepted disability, people may also be eligible for some or all of the below types of allowances:

  • Attendant Allowance for personal care and household services
  • Clothing Allowance to help offset costs for certain amputees and the blind
  • Decoration Allowance
  • Vehicle Assistance Scheme Allowance
  • Recreation Transport Allowance
  • Extreme Disability Adjustment paid in respect of extreme incapacity to veterans aged over 65
Economic Support PaymentsNoOne-off payments for people affected by coronavirus who get certain income support payments.
Incapacity Payments Yes Compensation payments for an inability or reduced ability to work because of a service injury or illness. Incapacity payments are based on the difference between a person's normal earnings and their actual earnings.
Income Support Supplement Yes Means tested income support for war windows or widowers in addition to their War Widow or War Widowers Pension.
Orphan's Pension No An additional pension paid to war widows or widowers.
Pension Supplement No

Paid as part of certain regular fortnightly income support payments to help eligible people meet the costs of daily household and living expenses.

Prisoner of War Recognition Supplement No Special recognition of former surviving Australians prisoners of war, both veteran and civilian, for the severe hardships and deprivations they experienced. It applies to all surviving former Australian prisoners of war from World War 2 and the Korean War.
Service Pensions Yes A means tested income support payment that provides a regular income for people with limited means. The Service Pension is also known as the War Service Pension. Service Pensions cover:
  • Age Service Pension
  • Invalidity Service Pension
  • Partner Service Pension
  • Social Security Age Pension
Totally and Permanently Incapacitated Pension Yes Also known as the Special Rate, it provides for severely disabled veterans who aren't able to have a normal working life because of a permanent incapacity resulting from their war or defence service.
An amount equal to a normal Service Pension rate is assessable.
Any amount above this rate is non-assessable.
War Widows Pension / War Widowers Pension, including Domestic Allowance Yes Paid to compensate widowed partners and dependent children of veterans who have died as a result of war service or eligible defence service.

↑  Back to Top

A list of incomes from other payment sources and whether they are assessable or non-assessable.
Income typeAssessable Description and notes
Allocated Pension Income or Annuities Yes

Income stream of a Self-Managed Superannuation Fund or Small Australian Prudential Regulation Authority Fund.

Customers must provide proof of the income stream to Housing SA from their financial institution, including if they participate in the Centrelink Income Confirmation Service.

Australia Awards Scholarships Yes Scholarships provided by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to foreign students for the purposes of studying in Australia.
Alternative Care Carer Payment No A fortnightly payment from the Department for Child Protection paid to foster families and relative carers to help cover the costs of caring for a child in alternative care.
Child Care Payment Yes Total net income, or gross less allowable expenses, that is received for provide childcare service is assessable income.
Child Support Maintenance Yes A regular agreed amount paid by 1 parent to another parent to help with the costs of raising children.
Cost of Living Concession No A South Australian Government concession available to eligible South Australians on low or fixed incomes.
Defence Force Reserve Pay Yes Payment for those in reserve defence forced, not regular defence force personnel.
Enterprise, employment and training schemes Yes Enterprise, employment and training schemes, for example New Employment Incentive Scheme, Australian Government, are assessable.
Interest received Yes This includes interest received on invested lump sums, for example invested superannuation funds, bank accounts or any other interest yielding invested sum payment. All interest is assessable, there is no minimum limit.
JobKeeper paymentYes

The JobKeeper payment is open to eligible employers, sole traders and other entities to enable them to pay their eligible employee’s salary or wages.

Employers pay employees a minimum of $1,500 before tax per fortnight to claim the JobKeeper payment. The employer is reimbursed by the Australian Taxation Office.

Income derived from the JobKeeper payment is assessable.

Loss of earnings payments Yes

Payment for loss of earnings, for example ReturnToWorkSA claim, insurance claim. Payments may be made in a lump sum or on an ongoing basis.

If a tenant or household occupant receives a lump sum payment for loss of earnings, they may be ineligible for Centrelink for a time. Housing SA bases its assessment on the income assumed by Centrelink to establish the period the person is precluded from Centrelink income. This applies even if the person disposes of the lump sum payment.

Lump sum payments - other No

Redundancy payments for loss of employment including Targeted Voluntary Separation Payments. The total amount of the payment is excluded rent and other assessment purposes.

Superannuation paid as a lump sum.

Victims of crime compensation.

Ex gratia payments - one off payments as follows:

  • F-111 Deseal/Reseal programs. Payment to participants in these programs, including military personnel, public servants and civilian contractors.
  • Prisoners of war payments to Australian Service Personnel who were held prisoners of war, civilians who were interred by Japan during World War 2, surviving Australian Service Personnel or their widows taken prisoner during the Korean conflict, or Australian Service Personnel or their widows who were help prisoners of war during World War 2 in Europe.
National Redress Scheme paymentNoA payment under the National Redress Scheme for people who experienced institutional child sexual abuse.
Overseas pensions or benefits Yes Any pension or benefit derived from a country that isn't Australia.
Real estate and business income Yes Any income associated with owning property or land, or any income derived from any commerce or trade.
Reimbursements No A reimbursement is a repayment for money already spent, for example reimbursement for expenses related to travel for work.
Salaries and wages Yes An annual salary is an agreement about the amount of pay for work over a 12 month period as a regular income. Someone who is paid wages receives a pay rate per hour, multiplied by the number of hours worked.
Salary sacrifice Yes Salary sacrifice in lieu of part of the salary is included and added to the gross income.
Self-employed income Yes Any income derived from a person's own business, trade or enterprise.
Scholarships, prizes and grants Yes There are a number of scholarships, prizes and grants awarded. The type and purpose of the payment determines if it's assessable or non-assessable.
Any living component of the payment, including accommodation expenses but excluded education, travel expenses, is assessable.
Spousal Maintenance Yes A payment or regular payments from 1 partner to their former partner after separation.
Student Homestay Payment Yes Payments made to people who house students providing bed and board, usually paid by the student's family.
Supported by family Yes A payment or regular payments from a family member.
Territories Stolen Generations Redress Scheme paymentNoA payment under the Territories Stolen Generations Redress Scheme for Stolen Generations survivors who were removed from their families or communities in the Northern Territory, the Australian Capital Territory or the Jervis Bay Territory.

↑  Back to Top

Page last updated: 9 August 2022