The policy sets out how Housing SA manages situations where customers have an interest in residential property.

The policy applies to:

Having a registered interest in residential property may affect customers’ eligibility for Housing SA services.

Residential property

Housing SA won’t offer public or Aboriginal housing to customers with an interest in residential property, except if they have exceptional circumstances in line with the Eligibility for public housing policy.

People are considered to have an interest in residential property if either of the below apply:

  • they’re recorded on, or hold the title of, a residential property, for example Torrens, strata, community or moiety title
  • they have a valid form of lease or agreement for a dwelling sited on a title owned by someone else, for example a cabin sited on Crown land, a transportable home sited in a caravan park

None of the below are considered to be residential property:

  • motor homes or caravans
  • vacant land
  • a dwelling that’s uninhabitable
  • property with a commercial use only, for example shop or office
  • land zoned for primary production that doesn’t have a habitable dwelling

Tenants and other occupants with an interest in residential property

Tenants may be in breach of their lease agreement, also known as the Conditions of Tenancy, if they or another occupant in their household has an interest in residential property.

If a tenant or other occupant has an interest in residential property, Housing SA may:

Related information

Controlling documents

This policy is based on and complies with:

Related policies and other documents

  • Conditions of Tenancy

Date this policy applies from

14 April 2020

Version number


The online version of the policy is the approved and current version. There’s no guarantee any printed copies are current.